You Know You Are Malaysian When...
Updated: Jan 28, 2019
1. You end your sentences with "lah".
2. You speak multiple languages in a single sentence.
3. Your friend does too, and you can somehow understand each other.
4. Deciding where to eat is a real dilemma for you. We Malaysians are spoiled for choice when it comes to food! Malay, Chinese, Indian, Japanese, Korean, Western... Who can decide?!
5. In your point of view, driving hours for a food trip is totally worth it.
6. You can't go a single day without eating rice.
7. You complain about the weather at least once a week.
8. Actually, you complain about everything. The weather, your boss, that one uncle who looked weirdly at you from across the street... Complaining is a national past time. It's fun.
9. You're late to meetings or hang outs for up to 20 minutes at least once in a while.
10. You've said "I'm on the way" at least once before a hang out when you've actually just stepped out of the shower. Malaysian timing mah.
11. You have a built-in cultural radar. You know exactly what to do and what not to do to avoid causing offense to another culture.
12. No matter which country you go to, you'll always miss Malaysian food.
13. One of your favourite things to do with your friends is to lepak at the mamak.
14. You go to the mall on most weekends.
15. You know curse words in more than 3 languages.
16. You eat Chinese food with chopsticks and Indian food with your hands.
17. You love food from hawker stalls.
18. You believe Malaysia has the best food in the world. Anyone who says otherwise is lying.
19. You have friends from different races.
20. You believe in the power of the hand. You raise your hand, and cars stop, people stop speaking, and promoters stop following you. All is under your command.
21. You create new family branches by calling everyone older than you "aunty" or "uncle".
22. You're social media-crazy. You love you some Facebook.
23. You have a laid-back, bordering don't-care attitude.
24. Your English teachers hate you because you butcher the English language mercilessly. It's fun what.
25. You love Milo.
26. You think teh tarik is pretty awesome too.
27. You can have nasi lemak anytime. Breakfast, brunch, lunch, tea, dinner, supper... Anytime also can.
28. You learned how to play the recorder in school. Horribly, by the way.
29. You pray that we get holidays after elections. Or whenever Datuk Lee Chong Wei wins a gold medal hehehe.
30. You call everyone "boss" when none of them are your actual boss; the guy working at the mamak, a customer at the mamak, some random person on the street... It makes no sense whatsoever, but hey, it's nice, friendly and respectful. It just makes for a more welcoming atmosphere.
31. You are automatically a year older come every 1st of January, regardless of your actual birthday.
Written by Crunch's Melissa Kartini